Call Now 204.325.0554
1.What does VAWT stand for?
-VAWT stands for Vertical Axis Wind Turbine.
2. Where can a Kelso VAWT be installed?
-Due to design construction and operation, the turbine (RPM) revolutions per minute and blade tip speed are very low. The low rotational speeds create minimal sound levels and no vibration. So, Kelso VAWT can be installed at any residential, commercial or industrial location when verified. It conforms to local zoning bylaws.
3. How much horsepower does it take to produce 1 km of power?
-It takes approximately 1.34 horsepower to produce one kilowatt of power.
4. What is Return on Investment (ROI)?
-Wind power is dependent upon geographical location, elevation, wind speed, velocity, and density.
5. Where can the Kelso VAWT be mounted?
-On towers that are specifically engineered and designed for Kelso. Recommend 80’-100’ ground tower. Building mounts must be 20’ above the highest point of the building and building must be architecturally designed for the load.
6. What type of wind conditions does the Kelso VAWT operate in?
-The VAWT operates in any wind condition regardless of direction. It operates in turbulent as well as laminar flow, unaffected by snow or ice conditions.
7. What systems can it operate?
-Integrated-AC DC system
8.Is there a mechanical lockout on the Kelso VAWT?
-Yes, there is a mechanical lockout.
9.What is a grid tie system?
-It is a system where the power produced by the Kelso VAWT is fed back into the local power grid. Electrical power can go in at single phase or three phases.
10. What is a battery charge system?
-It is a system that takes AC power from the turbine and inverts to DC power to charge batteries. Our system can be set up to charge from 12 volts to 72 volts. The most common are 24 volts and 48 volts.
11. Can DC power be inverted back to AC power?
-Yes, it can and we can set for many different applications. For example; single phase, three phase
-240 volts single phase
-203-277 three phase
12. On a DC to AC inverter, what is the number of watts that can be drawn?
-We have inverters that go from 500 watts to 30 000 watts.
13. Can a grid inverter system and a battery charge system be connected to the same Kelso VAWT?
-Yes, but they can only operate on one system at a time. We have manual or auto switches available to switch from one system to another
14. Is there a recommended tower height?
-80-100 feet or 24-30 meters or suitable height with good laminar wind flow
15. Does Kelso VAWT have a braking system?
-Yes, it has a two brake system.
a) a mechanical disk brake
b) the system can be switched to a safety, dump load (which is 9000 Watts) or it goes there automatically if the grid goes down or batteries are fully charged
16. What happens if the electrical grid goes down?
-The inverter automatically switches instantly to the safety dump load so there is no danger of stray wattage feeding back into grid and causing problems for people working on grid
KELSO ENERGY LTD.